An operating unit is an organization that is used to divide the control of economic resources and operational processes in a business. People in an operating unit have a duty to maximize the use of scarce resources, improve processes, and account for their performance.
The types of operating units include cost centers, business units, departments, and value streams.
- Go to Organization administration > Organizations > Operating units.
- Select New to open the drop-down menu.
- In the list, find and select the type of operating unit that you want to create, such as ‘Department’.
- In the Name field, type a value, such as ‘Quality Processes’.
- Expand the General section, if necessary. Provide general information about the operating unit, such as an identification number, Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number, and manager.
- Expand the Addresses section, if necessary.
- Select Add to enter a new address record or select Edit to modify an existing address record.
- Enter address information, such as the street name and number, postal code, and city.
- Select OK
- Expand the Contact information section, if necessary.
- Enter information about methods of communication, such as email addresses, URLs, and telephone numbers.
- To enter a new Contact information record, select Add. To modify an existing Contact information record select More options > Advanced.
- Select Save.